NOT-YOUR-REGULAR PROPOSAL

 

Image credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto


NOT-YOUR-REGULAR PROPOSAL 

I stared at the sheet lying on the left side of my study table. For the umpteenth time, I picked up my pen and dropped it almost immediately. I took in a deep breath and exhaled slowly. I tapped the table nervously.

John had asked me to be his wife some minutes ago but there was no ring; it was a mere stage play that started and ended in my head. Not again! We love each other but it does not look like he is going to make any move soon. I am still pretty young but all the same, I can’t wait for that special question to pop.

My phone vibrated. It was a text message. It read thus:

I think I’m now fit to be a husband. Is your wife material complete already?

I didn’t know what to make out of the text so I had to dial his number. I paced the room, waiting for him to pick up.

“Joy, what’s up?” 

There is something special about John’s voice but I don’t know what it is. Words fail me each time I try to describe what his voice does to me. Each time I get angry and he whispers against the nape of my neck, I begin to giggle like an idiot.  

As always, a smile crept on my face. “I can’t decode that text,” I said.

“Really? I’ve told you my own o.”

John could be so sarcastic. He expects me to figure out things without giving me a clue but this time, I really could not pick the message he was trying to pass across.

“I’m serious. I don’t understand.”

“If you no longer pay bride price in your family, that is good news but I’m not a big fan of awoof.”

“Are we getting married?” 

“What were you thinking before?”

I could not believe my ears. “For crying out loud John, who proposes on phone?”

“There is no standard for doing that or is there one I’m unaware of?”

“So that’s it?”

“Should there be more to it?” He asked.

"Not even a surprise at Lekki?" She placed one arm over her chest.

"So you'd say no and disgrace me?"

"No na"

They laughed out loud.


* Awoof is a pidgin term in Nigeria and it means 'something free.' *

Written by: Atere Gbemisola

Email: ateretosin140@gmail.com

0 Comments

Enter your keyword